Michael is a director in the firm’s Tax Department. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the NUI and is a Chartered Accountant (FCA) and an AITI Chartered Tax Advisor.
Michael manages a varied and interesting portfolio of corporate and personal tax clients from a range of sectors including food & beverage, retail, insurance, construction and waste management. He has a strong relationship with his clients and works closely with them to deliver a service that meets their commercial as well as their taxation requirements.
His advice covers a full range of tax-heads and includes advising on complex transactions and structures such as:
- Designing and implementing tax-efficient corporate structures and restructuring them where necessary
- Property transactions: advising on structures for holding property as well as complex VAT and CGT issues arising
- VAT planning to minimise VAT leakage and optimise cashflow
- International tax: advising clients in the areas of VAT on cross-border transactions, company residence and employee relocations
Michael also works closely with the firm’s Corporate Finance Department on matters such as:
- Buying and selling businesses: advising on the wide range of tax issues that arise and structuring the transaction as tax-efficiently as possible while also taking account of the client’s commercial requirements
- Raising finance: optimising tax relief on debt and also advising on availing of, and implementing tax-based finance schemes such as the Employment & Investment Incentive Scheme (EIIS)
Michael also speaks on tax matters to participants on Enterprise Ireland’s New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme and at various seminars.
He enjoys meeting entrepreneurs, learning about their activities and helping them to make the tax system work for their business.